Why Sleep Grounded?
When you take off your shoes and walk barefoot on the earth outside, the earth’s electrons flow into you.
That’s the concept of “grounding,” and in an age when most people’s feet literally never (or almost never) touch the ground outside, grounding is finding its way into the mainstream as a natural means of restoring and maintaining good health.
Returning to the Earth
The term “grounding” is also often called “earthing”.
Our bodies run on electricity. This electricity is created in our cells and in our brains, and is circulated throughout every cell, tissue, and organ in our bodies.
In my clinic here at the Naturopathic & European Medicine Centre in Stevens Point, Wisconsin we have an electro-magnetic therapy that was developed at my university alma mater in Berlin.
It’s called BEMER, and was invented by several of the top German electro-magnetic researchers who were contracted by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to provide needed biological and electro-magnetic support to our astronauts, whose bodies quickly become stressed and out of normal balance during extended periods in space, such as at the International Space Station.
From Out of This World
From these experiences with off-world travel into space, we have found that our bodies become more and more compromised and begin to break down at an accelerated rate the longer we are separated from the earth.
To counter this, scientists at the Berlin University developed the BEMER to re-connect, re-balance and heal every nerve, cell, tissue, and organ from the inside.
This has not only provided incredible positive healing effects for our astronauts, but it has also produced a greatly calming and healing effect upon the minds and emotions of those who have tried it.
Connecting your body to the continuous stream of electrons from the earth’s surface supports your body’s natural healing and regenerative processes, promoting optimal health and wellness especially during sleep – leaving you feeling more energized and rejuvenated!
The free electrons from the earth help to re-balance your body, stabilize it’s bio-electrical system, and fight free radicals.
The stream of electrons work as an anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and anti-aging antioxidant, mitigating the damage caused by an increasing environmental load of harmful man-made EMF’s (microwaves, wifi and cell signals, and general electrical “noise”)
If you’d like to try a session or two with the BEMER in our office please let us know, we’d be glad to help you with that. I personally use the Earthing Mattress Pad at home and I find that it makes all the difference in the world.
A BEMER session is about 10 minutes, and is completely safe for children, and pregnant or nursing women. If the quality of your life really matters to you and you want to rebuild and restore an optimal physical / biological as well as emotional / psychological health I strongly recommend supplementing the treatments by purchasing the mattress pad for nightly home use.
The published research on Earthing (Grounding) indicates a broad array of favorable health-related benefits including:
- Better sleep
- Elimination or reduction of inflammation
- Elimination or reduction of pain
- Improved blood flow
- Normalized levels of stress hormone cortisol
- Calming effects on the nervous system
- Reduction in blood viscosity
- Improved glucose (blood sugar) regulation
- Prevention of calcium and bone density loss, reduced indicators of osteoporosis
- Increased metabolic rate
- Improved thyroid gland function
- Reduced muscle damage, accelerated recovery from strenuous exercise
- Faster wound healing
- Improved immune system response to trauma and injury
- Normalized muscle tension
- Reduction in nighttime urination
- Reduction of PMS symptoms / hot flashes
- Anti-aging effects.
The modern pursuit of scientific evidence that grounding impacts human physiology and health began in the 1990’s with Drs. Karol and Pawel Sokal in Poland, and Clint Ober in the United States.
The research that has followed has produced fascinating evidence of a powerful and positive shift in the electrical state of the body and the electrodynamics of blood, and a boost to self-healing and self-regulating mechanisms.
Researchers believe that Earthing allows a transfer of electrons from the ground into the body. We know that inflammation is caused by free radicals and that free radicals are neutralized by electrons from any source. Electrons are the source of the neutralizing power of antioxidants.
In the Earthing studies, as well as global feedback from thousands of individuals who have grounded themselves, we have consistent evidence of people whose pain has been reduced.
Such reduction of pain is evidence (but not proof) that inflammation is reduced. However, the studies point clearly in that direction.
- Earthing studies
- Earthing review articles
- Earthing commentaries
- Misinformation about Earthing
- Earthing Institute instructional papers
- Grounding the Body Improves Sleep Quality in Patients with Mild Alzheimer’s Disease: A Pilot Study 2022
- How Localized Grounding, Combined with Conductive Skincare, Improves the Outcomes of the Traditional Skincare? 2021
- A double-blind randomized trial to assess the efficacy of Jing Advanced Clinical Massage and Earthing as interventions in the treatment of chronic low back pain 2021
- The Effects of Grounding on Meditation Quality: A Preliminary Study Report 2019 (abstract)
- Effectiveness of Grounded Sleeping on Recovery after Intensive Eccentric Muscle Loading 2019
- The Effects of Grounding (Earthing) on Bodyworkers’ Pain and Overall Quality of Life: A randomized Controlled Trial 2019
- Grounding Patients With Hypertension Improves Blood Pressure: A Case History Series Study 2018
- Effects of Grounding (Earthing) on Massage Therapists 2018
- Classification of EEG Signal for Body Earthing Application 2018
- Electrical Grounding Improves Vagal Tone in Preterm Infants 2017 View study charts here
- Effects of Grounding on Body Voltage and Current in the Presence of Electromagnetic Fields 2016
- Health Effects of Alkaline Diet and Water, Reduction of Digestive-tract Bacterial Load, and Earthing 2016
- Grounding After Moderate Eccentric Contractions Reduces Muscle Damage 2015
- One-Hour Contact with the Earth’s Surface (Grounding) Improves Inflammation and Blood Flow—A Randomized, Double-Blind, Pilot Study 2015
- The Effect of Grounding the Human Body on Mood 2015
- Grounding the Human Body during Yoga Exercise with a Grounded Yoga Mat Reduces Blood Viscosity 2015
- An Experimental Study on Immediate Effect of Direct Barefoot Contact with Earth on Prehypertension 2015
- Grounding the Human Body Improves Facial Blood Flow Regulation 2014
- Differences in Blood Urea and Creatinine Concentrations in Earthed and Unearthed Subjects during Cycling Exercise and Recovery 2013
- Earthing (Grounding) the Human Body Reduces Blood Viscosity—a Major Factor in Cardiovascular Disease 2013
- Earthing the Human Organism Influences Bioelectrical Processes 2012
- Emotional Stress, Heart Rate Variability, Grounding, and Improved Autonomic Tone: Clinical Applications 2011
- Earthing the Human Body Influences Physiologic Processes 2011. Editorial: Chronic Disease: Are We Missing Something?
- Pilot Study on the Effect of Grounding on Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness 2010
- Earthing effects in Lewis Rats 2010
- Changes in Pulse Rate, Respiratory Rate, Blood Oxygenation, Perfusion Index, Skin Conductance, and Their Variability Induced During and After Grounding Human Subjects for 40 Minutes 2010
- The Effect Of Earthing On Human Physiology, Part 2 2007
- The Effect Of Earthing On Human Physiology, Part 1 2006
- The Effectiveness of a Conductive Patch and a Conductive Bed Pad in Reducing Induced Human Body Voltage Via the Application of Earth Ground 2005
- The Biologic Effects of Grounding the Human Body During Sleep as Measured by Cortisol Levels and Subjective Reporting of Sleep, Pain, and Stress 2004
- Thermography Case Histories 2004-2005
- Initial Grounding Experimentation by Clint Ober, 2000 (as part of a brief historical review of Earthing)
Earthing review articles
- Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine Strategies Should Include Earthing (Grounding): Review of Research Evidence and Clinical Observations 2020
- Electric Nutrition: The Surprising Health and Healing Benefits of Biological Grounding (Earthing) Altern Ther Health Med. 2017 Sep;23(5):8-16.
- Prevention and Treatment of Influenza, Influenza-Like Illness, and Common Clod by Herbal, Complementary, and Natural Therapies 2017
- The Effects of Grounding (Earthing) on Inflammation, Immune Response, Wound Healing, and Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Inflammatory and Autoimmune Diseases 2015
- Biophysics of Earthing (grounding) the Human Body, in Bioelectromagnetic and Subtle Energy Medicine (CRC Press), 2015
- Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth’s Surface Electrons 2012
- The Neuromodulative Role of Earthing 2011
- Prevention and/or Recovery from Corona Virus Infections: Clint Ober, James Oschman, Ph.D.
- Rx Earth – The Original Painkiller! James Oschman, Ph.D., Gaétan Chevalier, Ph.D., Stephen T. Sinatra, M.D.
- Essential for Women – Your Body, Your Health: Grounding Your Rhythms James Oschman, Ph.D., Gaétan Chevalier, Ph.D.
- Understanding Earthing (Grounding) James Oschman, Ph.D., Gaétan Chevalier, Ph.D.
- The Earth’s Electrical Surface Potential: A Summary of Present Understanding: Gaétan Chevalier, Ph.D.
- Can Electrons Act as Antioxidants? A Review and Commentary: James Oschman, Ph.D.
- Charge Transfer in the Living Matrix: James Oschman, Ph.D.
- Perspective: Assume a Spherical Cow: The role of Free or Mobile Electrons in Bodywork, Energetic and Movement Therapies: James Oschman, Ph.D.
- Fatigued? Let Grounding Recharge Your Battery
- Earthing vs. “Good” and “Bad” Free Radicals: James Oschman, Ph.D.
- Earthing Speeds Sports/Training Recovery, Lessens Muscle Damage and Inflammation
- Earthing, Inflammation, and Aging – Something to Think About: Gaétan Chevalier, Ph.D.
- Matteo Tavera: A French Naturalist’s Vision of the Importance of “Natural Electricity” to Life
- Earthing Poster 2018 Congress on Integrative Medicine
- Adolf Just (1859-1936)
- Fred Vlès: Les Conditions Biologiques crées par les propriétés électriques de l’atmosphère – Le comportement des organismes électriquement connectés au sol, ou isolés de celui-ci
Misinformation about Earthing
Dr. Bowman is a Board Certified Doctor of Naturopathy (ND) with training and additional professional certifications in Homeopathy (DiHOM), Alternative Medicine (MD-MA), and as a certified advanced practitioner in LYME Disease (ILADS). Medically trained at one of Germany’s most prestigious universities, Dr. Bowman focuses his practice around the German naturopathic model of health. From his Navajo roots Dr. Bowman learned to appreciate the wisdom of natural healing and a spiritual, holistic approach to healthful living. Dr. Bowman also works closely with medical doctors and other healthcare practitioners to restore and optimize patients’ good health. For an appointment call (715) 341-4949 Monday-Thursday, 9AM to 5PM.